"Beefy" Bean Chili
Looking for an easy meal that's filling, cooks quickly AND makes plenty of leftovers? This "Beefy" Chili fits all those points! It's hearty, a little spicy, and very nutritious. Cook this on a Sunday and have leftovers well into the week!
We like to have this over rice or with a couple slices of sourdough bread.
Original recipe from Cookie + Kate
"Beefy" Bean Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 med. red onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large can (28 oz) or 2 small cans (15 oz each) diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 tsp lime juice
Garnishes: chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, tortilla chips, dairy-free cheese or sour cream
- In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender & onion is translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the spices. Cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, drained black beans & pinto beans, broth & bay leaf. Stir to combine; let the mixture come to a simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally and maintaining a gentle simmer, for 30 minutes.
- Remove chili from the heat & discard the bay leaf. For the best texture and flavor, blend the chili briefly with an immersion blender, or mash with a potato masher until it reaches a thicker consistency.)
- Add the cilantro, lime juice & salt to taste, plus your preferred toppings.