This Teriyaki Tempeh dish is seriously good and easy to meal prep. You can serve the tempeh over white or brown rice and vegetables for a delicious, simple and well-balanced meal.
What is Tempeh you ask?
Tempeh is a product made from fermented soy beans. Sometimes, it's mixed with whole grains, such as brown rice. It has a rich, nutty flavor and is packed with protein, iron, calcium and magnesium. Since it's fermented, tempeh also contains probiotics, which are beneficial for gut health.
To bring out the best in tempeh, it must be prepared and cooked properly. This includes steaming tempeh for about 10 minutes, which makes it more tender and removes bitterness.
The next step is to marinate the tempeh, or simmer it in a sauce. The following recipe covers all these steps, and the result really shows how delicious tempeh is. Try it as a plant-based alternative to beef or chicken. Enjoy!
RECIPE: TERIYAKI TEMPEH (adapted from V Nutrition)
- 1 (8 oz) package Tempeh
- 3 TB Broth or Water
- 1 TB Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 4 TB Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame or Olive Oil
- 1 TB Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Sriracha (or hot sauce)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Corn Starch
- 1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke (optional)
Optional Toppings: sesame seeds; green onions
1. STEAM: cut tempeh into 4 triangles & steam in a steamer basket for 10 minutes (this softens & removes bitterness from the tempeh)
2. MARINATE: Add all ingredients for marinade into bowl and whisk together. Place tempeh into dish and pour marinade over. Marinate for at least 20 mins.
3. PREP SAUCE: Mix teriyaki sauce ingredients in bowl. Set aside.
4. SEAR: In a pan, add cooking spray or a little oil. Sear the tempeh 3-5 minutes on each side until crispy.
5. GET SAUCY: Once tempeh is cooked, add tempeh to teriyaki sauce, covering the tempeh.
6. COOK: Take tempeh out of the sauce & add back to pan. Heat tempeh again for about 30 seconds on each side to caramelize the sauce on the tempeh. Turn off heat; pour the remaining sauce over the tempeh in the pan. Leave for about a minute to let sauce thicken.
7. SERVE: Serve Tempeh over steamed rice or quinoa, with your favorite vegetables. Top with sesame seeds & green onions if you like.
Meal Prep Note: You can double or triple this recipe to make extra for meal prepping.