Cheesy Tofu Scramble
Tofu scramble is a classic vegan recipe, and it's absolutely delicious if it's done right! Even better, we're sending this scramble over the top with some vegan cheese shreds. You can have this for any meal of the day - it's very satisfying and filling. This recipe will show you exactly how to make it flavorful with a perfect texture. Enjoy!
CHEESY TOFU SCRAMBLE
- 1 block (16 oz) Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/2 medium Onion, diced
- 1 Bell Pepper (any color), diced
- 4 cups Spinach
- Spice Mix (see below)
- 1/4 cup Vegan Cheese Shreds (I like Follow Your Heart or Violife)
- Garnish: Cilantro or Green Onions
To serve: Breakfast Potatoes, Tortillas or Rice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp Kala Namak* (black salt) OR regular salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Pinch turmeric (optional, for color)
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
* = kala namak gives the scramble an "eggy" taste. If you don't have it, just use regular salt.
- Gather all ingredients and spices.
- Open the tofu, drain the water and wrap it in a clean dish towel or paper towels. Gently squeeze to get out more of the excess water (or place a couple heavy books on top of it). The less water the better, so it's not soggy. Keep it wrapped while you continue the recipe.
- Prepare the spice mix by adding the nutritional yeast & all the spices to a small bowl. Add warm water a little at a time as you stir, until you get a pourable “sauce”. Set aside.
- Dice the bell pepper and onion.
- Warm a non-stick skillet over medium heat & use a little non-stick spray if you like. Once it’s hot, add the bell pepper & onion.
- Let the vegetables cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened. Move them to one side of the pan.
- Unwrap the tofu and crumble it into the pan using clean hands or spatula. Let cook for a couple minutes until browned.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu & veggies and stir everything together.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the scramble, then add spinach. Cover the pan & let cook until spinach wilts.
- Stir the scramble again. Taste & add salt if needed.
- Garnish with cilantro or green onions. Serve with potatoes, rice or tortillas. Enjoy!