Instant Pot Sweet Potato Curry (vegan)
This Sweet Potato Curry is one of my favorite dishes to make! It's so satisfying, very nutritious and comes together quickly. The Instant Pot gets everything cooked in 5 min, so it's much faster than cooking on the stove top (any pressure cooker will do).
My Heroic Nutrition clients enjoy this recipe because it's simple but feels like you're cooking yourself a fancy meal! Eating healthy is all about being satisfied and enjoying what you eat, and this dish fits the bill. Try it out and see for yourself!
(This recipe was adapted from Pioneer Woman to make it fully vegan and lower in fat.)
SWEET POTATO CURRY
Makes 6 servings. Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 20 min. Total: 35 min.
- 1 tbsp. Oil (Olive or Coconut)
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped Carrots
- 1 Bell Pepper (any color), diced
- 1 Large (~1 lb.) Sweet Potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 jar (4 oz. or about 7 Tbsp) Curry Paste - Red Or Green
- 1 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) Garbanzo Beans, drained
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 can (11.5 oz.) Lite Coconut Milk
- Steamed Rice
- Extra Firm Tofu (or other choice of protein)
- 1/2 cup Chopped Cilantro
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Get a pot of rice cooking while you prepare the ingredients and chop the vegetables.
- Turn Instant Pot to the “Sauté” setting. When preheated, add the oil.
- Add diced onion to pot and cook for about 2–3 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Add carrots, bell pepper, and sweet potato. Cook for another 2–3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, lime juice, curry paste, tomato paste, vegetable broth, beans, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Press the “Cancel” button and put the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam release vent is set to “Sealing”. Set the cooker to cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. (I use the “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” button.)
- In the meantime, prepare and cook the Tofu (or other protein of choice).
- When the pressure cycle is over, turn steam release valve to “Venting” to release all of the steam.
- Open the lid and add the can of coconut milk. Whisk or still well. Taste, adding more salt, if needed.
- Serve over steamed rice with lime wedges and cilantro. Enjoy!