Vegan Protein Banana Bread
This Banana Bread is EASY, DELICIOUS, and has a punch of PROTEIN! It's also vegan, dairy-free and can be made gluten-free as well.
After a couple of heat waves in September and early October, it suddenly got chilly and windy in Los Angeles. The Fall weather had me craving something comforting in the morning, so I made a batch of this Banana Bread. One of my favorite ways to treat myself is having sweet bread like this with my usual coffee for breakfast, so this did the trick.
I like to have a slice of warmed Banana Bread with fresh berries and a protein shake for breakfast, or I enjoy a slice for dessert. If you have some bananas laying around, I highly recommend whipping this up for a satisfying (and more nutritious) treat!
PROTEIN BANANA BREAD
makes about 10 slices
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk (I used Unsweetened Almond Milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 cups overripe bananas, mashed (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (or 1/3 cup maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour (or 1:1 gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 cup plant based protein powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, raisins or walnuts (or a combo of them)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x5in loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Place almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
3. Measure out bananas in a large mixing bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash them well. Add sugar or syrup, oil, and vanilla, whisking to combine. Stir in milk.
4. Add flour, protein powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir just until just barely combined (a few flour clumps are okay). Fold in chocolate chips, being careful not to over-mix.
5. Pour into loaf pan. Top it off with a few chocolate chips or walnuts. I also added a sprinkle of chia seeds, which added a little texture.
6. Bake for about 45-50 minutes (add 5 min for maple syrup version), or until a knife comes out clean. If your loaf looks like it's getting too browned, quickly slide a piece of tin foil on top after 35 minutes). Once done, carefully remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool before slicing. Enjoy!